Why Study Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems at NC State?
NC State is a nationally recognized land-grant university with a long history in sustainable agriculture and food systems research, extension, and education programs. Our students learn from renowned researchers and educators, benefiting from the many unique opportunities that include:
- Diverse and abundant courses focused in sustainable agriculture and food systems.
- Numerous opportunities for research, internships, and community engagement experiences.
- Exposure to cutting edge sustainable agriculture and food systems research, education and extension projects through the Center for Environmental Farming Systems, recognized as a leading national center for sustainable agriculture programs.
- Plenty of opportunities for hands-on learning and engagement, including through our 6-acre student and community focused Agroecology Education Farm.
NC State Students-
Interested in Changing Majors?
If you are a student at NC State and interested in changing to the Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems major, you can fill out a Change of Degree Application (CODA). Before applying:
- Meet with an Agroecology and Sustainable Foods Systems adviser as well as your current adviser.
- Explore how your current classes apply to this major through the “What if” option on your degree audit in MyPack Portal.
- Find out more about the eligibility requirements and application deadlines through the CODA website.
Applying to NC State?
Spend Some Time With The Pack
There are several ways for you to visit NC State that will immerse you in the power of the pack and we are excited to have you. Below are a few of the ways you can get to know the program more and visit us.
- Details on how to take a tour of campus or a specific academic program can be found on our Undergraduate Admissions’ Visit page.
- For a more personalized experienced consider Spending a Day at State to learn what student life has to offer.
- Would you like to meet with an advisor? To plan a more in depth one-on-one visit, contact one of the Agroecology and Sustainable Food System advisors to schedule an appointment.
Ready to Apply?
At NC State, it is not about where you start but where you finish. If you are unsure of how to join the pack, then visit our Find Your Path to CALS page to help plan for the road ahead.
Are you ready to take that next step? Find out what it takes on our Admissions page.
Talk to an Advisor
The Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems program is a multidisciplinary, cross departmental experience. With your interests in mind, our advisors would love to answer any questions you may have!
Dr. Michelle Schroeder-Moreno
Agroecology Research and Production and Community Food Systems Concentrations Advisor and
Agroecology Minor Advisor
Phone number: 919-513-0085
Dr. Helen Kraus
Urban Horticulture Concentration Advisor
Phone number: 919-515-1208